If you live in an area where hurricanes or floods happen, you should always stay alert and safe. You can do that if you prep for natural disasters in advance. This way you and each member of your family will develop a strategy for any kind of natural disaster that comes your way. Nobody really knows how and when hurricane can strike or when will a big fire break out. However, it is possible to prepare in advance and be ready in case of an emergency. Use our guide to prep for natural disasters and set your mind at ease.
Prep for natural disasters – create a plan
When preparing for a possible natural disaster, you should know that every step is equally important. The first step is preparation. To prep for natural disasters, consider making an emergency plan. Every member of your household should be aware of your plan and understand the steps they should take in case of an emergency. Your plan should include:
- Your household information
- Family members contacts
- School contacts
- Your current workplace contacts
- Childcare information
After you gather all the important information on your list, consider planning your evacuation route as well as the shelter plan. You can easily find various emergency plan forms you can download to your computer.
Consider various scenarios
It is important you consider different scenarios when you prep for natural disasters. Some of those events are more likely to happen in your area. Do some research to find out what is the most common scenario. You can also find out the most usual mistakes people make during a hurricane or some other natural disaster. If you know how not to behave you will be more prepared for the emergency.
You should include every family member and discuss the best course of action in case of an emergency. Everyone should be prepared to react to any situation:
- Winter storms
- Power outages
- Tornadoes and hurricanes etc.
Plan your evacuation route
You will better prep for natural disasters if you add another item to your emergency plan. Calculate the best place in your home in case of an emergency. If you live near the water, you may be aware that the floods may happen. In that case, the safest place in your home is the attic or the upstairs bedroom. On the other hand, if it’s a tornado you may be facing, staying in the basement is the best course of action.
Make sure you get warnings in case of emergency
When natural disasters happen, you should recognize any warning that comes your way. In some cases, you may not be able to hear sirens. On the other hand, you shouldn’t rely solely on your landline phone or television for communication. In case of power outage, you may not be able to use your phone or tv. For this reason, it is best to sign up with a government to receive emergency alerts. You can do that if you contact them and receive messages and warnings in case something goes wrong.
How to pack an emergency kit?
Every household should have an emergency kit for emergencies. Usually, the emergency kit includes:
- Few days supplies of perishable foods and water. Pack plenty of bottled water for every family member. When it comes to foods, use food that can last like canned soup, tuna, protein bars, cereal, and powder milk.
- Clothes, shoes, and toiletries. Pack enough basic clothing pieces for each family member and include an extra pair of socks and shirts. Make sure you have plastic cups and the baby bottle in case you have a baby. Pack basic toiletries for each family member. Don’t forget to pack feminine products.
- Utensils, matches and a can opener – can opener will be very useful when you have store foods. On the other hand, keep a box of matches, candles the lighter in case power outage happens.
- Blankets, the tent, and a sleeping bag
- A multipurpose tool, extra set of batteries, flashlight, and a radio
- First aid kit and medicine – You should always pack the first aid kit for emergencies. On the other hand, it is important to have all the medicine you regularly use on hand to prep for natural disasters.
- Cash and a map – In case of emergency, you may not be able to use reach or use an ATM. For security reasons, consider keeping some cash in your emergency kit. Packing the map of the town area. With the map, you will be able to find an alternative road to escape town in case of an emergency.
How to protect yourself in advance?
There is a way to stay protected when living in the area where hurricanes may happen. You can defend against hurricane damage if you decide to get home insurance in advance. Browse the internet for the most reliable insurance companies in your area. Find out if they had any unresolved claims in the past and find out more about their representation. Reliable insurance providers usually provide their services over the phone. Make sure that you will be talking to a real person on the other side of the line before making your final choice.
In case of any circumstances beyond our control, there is a possibility that your home may get damaged. That is why you should also prep your home for natural disasters and find the best insurance policy to protect your home. You can use public insurance adjuster on retainer to help you evaluate your current insurance and give you advice. Also, a public insurance adjuster can give you advice about the best insurance policies and reliable insurance companies that offer exactly what you are looking for.